For those who don’t know, over 300 venues in the United States will show a touring Broadway production during the 2018-2019 season. Although it should be considered a privilege to have just one show in any given location, there is something to be said about having a little fun in producing a top 50 venue ranking. So, in preparation of the impending 2019-2020 announcement season, below is my preseason ranking…
Note 1: Because I didn’t produce a post-season ranking for the 2018-2019 season, consider this an equal list.
Note 2: As with all rankings, there are some qualifiers in determining rank. Here’s what I’ve used as a guide in preparation of this list in order of weight:
1. Number and type of first-year productions
2. Number and type of second-year productions
3. Additional productions (e.g. returning favorites and non-direct revivals)
4. General makeup of the season
5. Number and type of productions from the previous season
6. Projections and preseason announcements
7. General demographics and geographic location
Be sure to stay tuned for more news and updates in the coming weeks as we gear up for announcement season!